"I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement." ~Calvin Coolidge

Thursday, January 29, 2009

I think I am going to live!

Wow has this a very stressful couple of weeks here in the big city!!! First, I want to thank each and every one of you for your kind words and support for my recent post. I do have an update and will share that with you.

After the shock wore off I did make an appointment with my doctor the next day. I walked in, sat down and presented him with my lab results. He listened to my concerns and promptly said, “If you should get a fever it would be in your best interest to immediately go to the emergency room!” Needless to say, that sat me straight up in the chair! I asked him a ton of questions that were all answered with the deadliest most fatal things you could think of, he was presenting worst case senerios. I of course was numb thinking I am dying with cancer, aids, leukemia and everything else under the sun. I was told that I needed to get another blood test done asap so we could compare the two and find out what direction to go in. So, I left knowing absolutely nothing but was even more scared than when I went in. Aza was waiting on me and I of course shared the visit with her. She was very comforting as usual, suggesting all along that it was probably a mild viral infection but, in my mind I was dying.

I had to work the next week and I will tell you that I was in no way myself. It showed in every aspect of my life. Poor Aza was doing everything that she could think of to make me laugh, keep me busy, or just take my mind off what was going on. She took me golfing, to the movies, rode the motorcycle all over and visited a few friends. It really did help so I am so grateful for her efforts. The day finally came which was last friday when I could break away to get my lab work done. I took off from work and flew out there as quickly as I could to get it done and over with. I was relieved that I at least went; which I can tell you was an acomplishment for me. I am the worlds worst when it comes to doctor visits. As mentioned in my pervious post, I can only attribute this to my parents. I took them each to their appointments when they were both diagnosed with terminal cancer, in both cases their illnesses started with low white blood cell counts. Of course I had to go through the weekend and all the way till Wednesday to finally get my report back. I called my doctors office and was told that I was going to live another day! My blood count went from 2.4 to 7.8 which was well above normal. I was ecstatic and called Aza pronto. She was so relieved and happy, she even threw in a laughing “I told ya so!”.

I am desperately trying to change my way of thinking in regards to the above. I learned that things aren't always as bad as they may appear. I will tell you that my aversion to doctors is not cured but I really would like to try. Aza has gotten me into something that I can tell you I would have never have even considered, Yoga! I love it!!! Ok guy's don't even think about laughing at me. If you haven't tried this, please try it. I was skeptical myself but after one 30 minute session that night I slept the best that I have slept in a long time. So, before you think I am a fruit cake try it!

I can tell you that I can only hope that each of you have somebody in your life that cares about you. I have the best support system that anyone could ask for. If it had not been for Aza, her dad and all of your prayers I question whether I would have even gone back. I did “man up” and thankfully it all worked out. Once again, thank you I really do appreciate all of your kind supportive thoughts and hope that if you should ever need anything you wouldn't hesitate to ask.

I'm Out And We''ll Talk Later!

14 comments:

Evil Transport Lady said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs to you and your sweetie!

Thank God everything is ok!

Berserk said...

Glad to hear you're better.

And screw yoga. That shit is tough! :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you are better.
I will keep the prayers coming your way.

RehabNurse said...

Great, Kojak! Keep yourself in shape and stay out of trouble. Those yoga tricks can help you at the range, so your buddies may change their minds. (mostly the mental stuff...don't try the poses while shooting!)

And if the doc bugs you that much, ask if they give the good patients suckers. ;->

Don't be afraid of a lil' white coat...remember you have a license to carry a gun...which is just as important. Gotta keep healthy so you can catch those perps!

Old NFO said...

Glad things are looking up. Hang in there, and yes, get a yearly physical!

Officer "Smith" said...

It's been awhile. I hope you're STILL going to live...

Will Cuff said...

So when you going to marry that "girl"?

Anonymous said...

Yoga is SUPER....soo hard though! You've inspired me to get off of my butt and go back to it! Pilates is pretty cool, too-made me feel great (when I was still in shape ha ha)

Anonymous said...

Hurry up and pie pig

Fire Safety Grants said...

Hello,

I work for PoliceOne.com and your blog is featured in our blog directory: http://www.policeone.com/law-enforcement-blogs/page-2/

In exchange we would like you to link to PoliceOne.com or exchange our RSS feeds. Please email at darcy.carroll@praetoriangroup.com for further information.

Best,
Darcy Carroll

Anonymous said...

I hope you're doing alright, Kojak, 'cause ya haven't updated your blog in some time. :)

Emily said...

Whenever I feel down I drink more and smoke excessively. I've seen other police officers do it and they all reached the ripe old age of 50, so it must be okay! Seriously, great blog, I hope you get to write more again soon.

Will Cuff said...

Kojak, I am glad to hear your in good health and that you have Aza behind you. You are lucky to have someone as understanding as her backing you. I also want to tell you that my hiatus has ended. I am now a corrections officer. I have moved out of the dispatch center and into a brick oven fortress.

Angelo said...

Hi - I know this is such a bizarre request - but would it be okay to mail you a screener for the new season of Southland on TNT for possible review? I know that's not what your blog is about - but considering your readership (they'd love this show)... Let me know! - agianni@youcastcorp.com